Halloween is such a spooktacular time of year for my family. We love decorating the house, carefully crafting or picking out our costumes, eating all the deliciously scary treats, and, of course, sitting down together to watch spooky movies. As a parent, I know the struggle of finding light hearted Halloween movies for the little ones. So when it comes to choosing movies for this scary time of year, don’t worry; I’ve got you covered with a list of the best kid friendly Halloween movies that promise tons of excitement without the fear.
When you have little ones, Halloween is about creating an atmosphere of delight and giggles rather than tearful midnight wake-ups. My boys are young, and it’s sometimes difficult to find movies that celebrate the spirit of Halloween without giving them too much of a fright. There are movies out there that capture the essence of Halloween with their enchanting plots, delightful characters, and a sprinkle of eerie, all wrapped up in a cozy, family-approved package. Grab your popcorn, settle in, and let the Halloween movie magic begin!
Where Can I Watch Family Friendly Halloween Movies?
Thankfully, there are quite a few options available for you to find the perfect Halloween-themed movies for your family’s tastes. Streaming platforms have made it easier than ever to access a wide variety of movies suitable for kids. Disney+, the beloved hub of family-friendly content, offers a great selection of Halloween themed movies and animated classics that bring the magic of the season to life. From timeless Disney favorites to newer animated tales, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
There are a ton of not too scary movies on Netflix. This streamer is one of my personal favorites and boasts an impressive collection of family-friendly Halloween movies, making it a go-to platform for many households. With a variety of genres and options to choose from, you’ll easily find the perfect movie to embrace the Halloween spirit while ensuring it’s gentle enough for the young ones.
For those with an Amazon Prime subscription, you’ll also discover a treasure trove of kid friendly Halloween movies. Amazon Prime Video provides a range of options, allowing you to explore both classic and contemporary movies that strike that ideal balance between festive and friendly frights.
In addition to these popular platforms, several others offer a diverse selection of Halloween-themed movies suitable for the whole family. There are a ton of family Halloween movies on Hulu, Apple TV+, and YouTube Kids that often feature specially selected Halloween movie collections during this season, ensuring that you’ll never run out of delightful options to keep the Halloween movie tradition alive and thrilling for your little ones.
Best Kid-Friendly Halloween Movies
1. The Spooky Tale of Captain Underpants Hack-a-ween
Captain Underpants is a surefire favorite for kids, and this Netflix Halloween special will not disappoint. This cartoon is based on the bestselling Captain Underpants book series, which is laughter-inducing for little boys and girls alike. The Halloween special is no different. In this special treat, Melvin tries to cancel Halloween. Best friends Harold and George create their own version of the holiday, and it’s a huge success!
2. Hocus Pocus 2
The Sanderson Sisters are back! If you’re anything like me, the original Hocus Pocus (released in 1993) was one of my favorites. This is your chance to share a new spin on a beloved classic with your children. This Disney+ sequel sees two young girls accidentally revive the child-hungry witches. Your family will be on the edge of their seats as the girls seek a way to keep the Sanderson sisters from destroying the world.
3. Monster House
In this animated Halloween movie found on Hulu, three young teens discover a neighborhood house is haunted. When they struggle to find an adult who will take their discovery seriously, the three decide to take matters into their own hands on Halloween night. If your little ones prefer animated films, this one will knock the ghost-shaped socks right off their feet.
4. Hotel Transylvania
This quirky animated film franchise offers four installments, which can be found on Hulu and Prime Video. In the first film, Dracula’s only daughter gains the affection of a human boy. His ridiculous protective antics threaten to push her away, and the rest of the films go hilariously downhill from there. This loveable cast of characters is a treat, and they are bound to make the whole family crack up!
5. It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
This film has us follow the Peanuts gang as they celebrate Halloween and Linus waits for the Great Pumpkin. This timeless classic brings nostalgia for adults and heartwarming tenderness for the young. It can be found on a number of platforms, including Apple TV+ and Prime Video.
When a boy’s beloved dog passes away suddenly, he attempts to bring the animal back to life through a science experiment. This animated, black-and-white play on Frankenstein is the perfect blend of gentle scares and life lessons for budding Halloween enthusiasts. You can catch it on Prime Video and Disney+.
7. Super Monsters Save Halloween
The Super Monsters are Netflix‘s own cute band of kiddie monsters. In this animated film, they band together and use their powers to get their neighbors in the Halloween spirit, then help a nervous friend see there’s nothing to be afraid of.
8. We Have A Ghost
Finding a ghost named Ernest haunting their new home turns Kevin’s family into overnight social media sensations. But when Kevin and Ernest investigate the mystery of Ernest’s past, they become targets of the CIA. This film is a Halloween movie family Netflix original.
9. The Nightmare Before Christmas
Disney+, Prime Video, and Roku all have this Halloween classic on demand. Who wouldn’t want to watch the King of Halloween Town, Jack Skellington, try to bring Christmas to his home? Let the laughs begin!
10. Starbeam: Halloween Hero
When Halloween treats begin to disappear, StarBeam and Boost have some tricks up their sleeve to save the day! Join them in the search for the greedy culprit behind the missing sweets. You can watch this animated treat on Netflix and Roku.
11. Spookley The Square Pumpkin
Both Netflix and Prime Video share this adorable tale of Spookley, a pumpkin that’s square instead of round. He’s teased by mean, round pumpkins, but his friends have his back. This animated tale is a cute adventure into watching out for those who are different.
12. Toy Story Of Terror
Woody and the gang are held up at a roadside motel, and members of the group start to disappear. How will Woody save the group? Find out how this frighteningly fun animated adventure ends on all major streaming platforms.
In ParaNorman, a misunderstood boy must use his ability to see and speak with the dead to save his town. He takes on ghosts, zombies, and grown-ups to protect his loved ones from a centuries-old curse. can watch this magically thrilling story on Prime Video.
Where Can I Watch Halloween Movies For Kids For Free?
If you’re not into streaming and you’re looking for free options to find Halloween films, there are several places you can explore without paying for a subscription. Here are some of my recommendations:
- YouTube: YouTube often offers a selection of free Halloween-themed movies, especially older or classic ones. You can simply search for “free Halloween movies” in the search bar and filter the results by “Movies” to find a variety of options.
- Tubi: Tubi is a free streaming platform that offers a range of movies and TV shows, including a collection of Halloween-themed films. They often provide special categories during the Halloween season.
- Crackle: Crackle is another free streaming service that provides a variety of movies and TV shows, including some spooky options for Halloween. You can find a Halloween category to explore.
- Vudu: Vudu has a selection of free movies (with ads) available, including some Halloween-themed films. They often have seasonal promotions, so keep an eye out during Halloween.
- IMDb TV: IMDb TV is an ad-supported streaming service by Amazon that offers a range of movies and TV shows for free. You can find Halloween movies under the “Horror” or “Thriller” genres.
- Popcornflix: Popcornflix is a free streaming platform with a dedicated section for horror and thriller movies, making it a good source for Halloween films.
- Local Libraries: Check if your local library has a partnership with a streaming service like Kanopy or Hoopla. Many libraries offer these services for free, and they often have a selection of movies, including seasonal favorites.
- Network TV Channels: During the Halloween season, many TV channels air classic Halloween movies and specials. Check your local TV guide for schedules.
These options provide a range of Halloween movies to choose from, catering to various tastes and preferences, all without the need for a subscription.
What Other Activities Do Families Do Around Halloween?
Halloween is a time of year where families can come together and enjoy fall-themed activities beyond spooky movie nights. It’s such a great opportunity to create memorable family experiences, and I’d like to share a few other autumn activities that my family enjoys. You may find that yours will enjoy them too.
- Pumpkin picking and carving is a fun way to get the whole family involved. Searching through rows of pumpkins looking for the perfect find is an amazing way for your children to bond with you and nature.
- Baking fall-themed treats as a family makes your tastebuds and your hearts happy. Baking is a creative and delicious way for children to participate in seasonal festivities.
- DIY costume-making sessions can unleash everyone’s creativity. DIY costumes are not only a fantastic way to save on expenses but also an opportunity for everyone to brainstorm and craft unique, personalized outfits.
- Nature walks and hikes allow the family to explore local parks or nature reserves together. It’s an excellent way to embrace the beauty of the season while getting some exercise and appreciating nature.
Halloween brings families together in a whirlwind of festivities and fun. Whether you’re snuggled up for a movie night or wandering through pumpkin patches, remember to cherish these moments—the glow of togetherness, the spirit of creativity, and the wonder of the season. May your Halloween be filled with joy, laughter, and an abundance of delightful treats. Happy Halloween!
Love this post? Here are 27 family-friendly shows on Netflix!