Once fall rolls around, one of my absolute favorite things to do is make potpourri on the stovetop. It’s such a great way to add fragrance to your home and it smells better than any candle or air freshener. The best part is that you can add in any seasonal ingredients to differentiate it from fall to winter, and through the holiday season. Since it is fall, I opted for fall ingredients including cinnamon bark and fresh apple slices.
Stovetop Potpourri Recipe
Homemade potpourri is a great way to bring a little beauty and fragrance to your home, and it’s so easy!
What You’ll Need
- Orange slices
- Cinnamon sticks
- Cinnamon bark
- Apple slices
- Fresh rosemary (optional)
To make potpourri, especially on the stovetop, is so simple and easy. Once you’ve collected all of your ingredients:
- Cut up your apples into large chunks
- Slice your oranges
- Combine apple, oranges, and spices into your pot
- Add water
- Put on the stovetop and heat on low
Stovetop Potpourri Tips & Tricks
While making potpourri on your stovetop is pretty straightforward, I’ve learned some tips and tricks over time that make the process easier and the mixture smell delicious.
- Orange slices: Fresh citrus slices add a bright and refreshing aroma.
- Cinnamon sticks: A warm and cozy spice that’s perfect for the season.
- Mulling spices: Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon bark, and cloves are an excellent blend to produce a cozy, winter beverage that is festive and comforting.
- Nutmeg: Spicy, sweet, and earthy. A little goes a long way!
I am a firm believer that the tools you use in your kitchen make a massive difference when it comes to cooking, no matter what you’re making. For making potpourri on the stovetop, I always use this cutting board and this knife set for cutting up all of the ingredients. The knives are truly the best and make slicing and dicing so easy!
For cooking my potpourri, I always use the perfect pot from Our Place. It’s truly the best and it’s nonstick so none of the potpourri ingredients get stuck to the bottom of the pot. I also use this for pasta recipes! This cooking utensil set is also a favorite to use with the perfect pot.