Summer is creeping up on us, and I’m on a mission to get snatched, and that means not only staying active but also making better food choices, especially when it comes to snacks. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good snack moment as much as anyone else, but I also know that snacking can be a major source of unnecessary calories and unhealthy ingredients. So, I’ve found some snack options that satisfy my cravings without derailing my progress. Here are a few of my favorite healthy snack ideas!
Healthy Snack Ideas
- 1 large cucumber
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Wash the cucumber and slice.
- In a small bowl, mix together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the sliced cucumber into a bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over it.
- Mix well, making sure that all the cucumber slices are coated with the vinegar mixture.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top of the cucumber.
- Chill the cucumber sunomono in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve as a refreshing side dish or snack. Enjoy!
Note: Some variations of this recipe may include additional ingredients such as sliced onions, grated ginger, or chopped cilantro. Feel free to experiment and adjust the recipe to your taste preferences.
Salmon and Cream Cheese Triscuit Bites
- Triscuit crackers
- 4 oz smoked salmon
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Fresh dill or chives (optional)
- Take the cream cheese out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes to soften.
- Spread a layer of cream cheese onto each Triscuit cracker.
- Cut the smoked salmon into small pieces that will fit on top of the Triscuits.
- Place a piece of smoked salmon on top of each cream cheese-covered Triscuit.
- Optional: sprinkle fresh dill or chives on top for extra flavor and decoration.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Note: You can also add additional toppings or variations to this recipe to suit your taste preferences. For example, you could add capers or thinly sliced red onion on top of the smoked salmon, or use flavored cream cheese such as garlic or herb for added flavor.
Avocado Tomato Salad
- 2 ripe avocados
- 6 cherry tomatoes/2 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Cut the flesh into small chunks and place them in a bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes into small chunks and add them to the bowl with the avocado.
- Add the chopped cilantro to the bowl and mix everything together gently.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Note: You can also add additional ingredients to this recipe. Colton loves to add could add diced onion, and jalapenos for some added kick.
Additional Simple Snack Ideas
Greek Yogurt with Berries: This is a classic snack for a reason. Greek yogurt is high in protein and low in calories, while berries are packed with antioxidants and other nutrients. I like to mix some fresh berries into a container of plain Greek yogurt, along with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of granola for some extra crunch.
Edamame: If you’re looking for a savory snack, edamame is a great option. These little green soybeans are high in protein and fiber, and they’re also fun to eat! I like to steam a bag of frozen edamame and sprinkle them with some sea salt for a simple and satisfying snack.
Apple Slices with Almond Butter: This is a sweet and satisfying snack that feels indulgent but is actually quite healthy. Apples are high in fiber and other nutrients, while almond butter is a good source of healthy fats and protein. I like to slice up an apple and dip the slices into a small container of almond butter for a delicious snack.
So there you have it, some healthy snack ideas to help you get summertime fine! Remember, snacking doesn’t have to be a guilty pleasure. You can satisfy your cravings while still staying on track with your fitness goals. Happy snacking!